Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Ford F150 Transmission Problem?

Ford Car Discussion

Postby wamblee64 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

2000 Ford F150 Lariat Double Cab
5.4L Triton V8
unsure of transmission model but can get it if necessary.

First thing i noticed is that the transmission wouldn't shift into reverse. Upon driving gear changes occurred like this:
1>2 would only change when you take your foot off the gas.
2>3 would actually change into neutral unless you build up RPM to approx 3000 and it would slip into gear. Didn't test this any further as didn't want to cause any more damage.

With Overdrive off the following occurred:
Reverse: No gear.
1>2 Same as driving with overdrive on, it would only change up a gear once you let your foot off the gas.
2>3 Would shift as it should.
3>4 Would shift as it should.
4>5 N/A as Overdrive was disabled.

I'm pretty good at working on cars but this went over my head so I asked a family member of mine and a mechanic I used to work for and they both recommended that i should drop the pan, collect the oil and transmission filter and to check for any chunks of metal and anything else that shouldn't be in the pan - The oil was a slight dark red colour and filter did have deposits across the screen and needed some (but not much) pressure to blow through it. the magnet in the pan had collected what it had supposed too (just very fine shavings of metal (but not much.)

I replaced the transmission filter and cleaned the pan and refilled with 6 quarts of Mercon V. The same problem still exists and I'm looking for any other advice or things I can check before taking it in to a transmission shop.

If there's any other info required, please let me know but I believe I've covered everything.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
wamblee64

Postby ade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 am

2000 Ford F150 Lariat Double Cab
5.4L Triton V8
unsure of transmission model but can get it if necessary.

First thing i noticed is that the transmission wouldn't shift into reverse. Upon driving gear changes occurred like this:
1>2 would only change when you take your foot off the gas.
2>3 would actually change into neutral unless you build up RPM to approx 3000 and it would slip into gear. Didn't test this any further as didn't want to cause any more damage.

With Overdrive off the following occurred:
Reverse: No gear.
1>2 Same as driving with overdrive on, it would only change up a gear once you let your foot off the gas.
2>3 Would shift as it should.
3>4 Would shift as it should.
4>5 N/A as Overdrive was disabled.

I'm pretty good at working on cars but this went over my head so I asked a family member of mine and a mechanic I used to work for and they both recommended that i should drop the pan, collect the oil and transmission filter and to check for any chunks of metal and anything else that shouldn't be in the pan - The oil was a slight dark red colour and filter did have deposits across the screen and needed some (but not much) pressure to blow through it. the magnet in the pan had collected what it had supposed too (just very fine shavings of metal (but not much.)

I replaced the transmission filter and cleaned the pan and refilled with 6 quarts of Mercon V. The same problem still exists and I'm looking for any other advice or things I can check before taking it in to a transmission shop.

If there's any other info required, please let me know but I believe I've covered everything.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi Jordan,

I encourage you to work with your local Ford dealer. They will be able to diagnose your vehicle properly and provide available options, including installing a Ford remanufactured transmission, which is engineered and tested to meet all of our specifications, but at a lower cost than a new transmission. The transmission also comes with a 3-Year/Unlimited-Mile warranty. You can find additional information here: http://www.FordParts.com/Products/PowertrainProducts-RemanufacturedTransmissionAssemblies.aspx

Hope this helps!

Noemi
Ford Customer Service Division
ade

Postby cuinn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 am

Probably needs a new tranny by the sounds of it.
cuinn

Postby audie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 am

ford uses two different trans for this model either way its rebuild time one is a 4R70W and the other is a 4R100 ..then if everything forward works fine then a problem with reverse frictions this is not a 5 speed trans a 4 speed only with lock-up torque converter
audie

Return to Ford